Note: This webpage was part of the qBionano project which has now successfully finished, it was active from August 2017 to August 2019. This webpage will therefore not receive any further updates, but it will remain online on https://bjornmalm.wordpress.com/ as a reference and for archival purposes. Up-to-date contact details to Dr Mattias Björnmalm can be found via ORCID, Twitter and LinkedIn.
Selected policy engagement and advocacy.
See the bottom of this page for videos from recorded and live-streamed events.
- Awardee at the 2019 Imperial College President’s Address, “recognized for outstanding achievements in policy engagement“.
- Vice-Chair of Policy for the Marie Curie Alumni Association, a Brussels-based researcher-advocacy organization with 13,000+ members.
- Authored and co-authored 5+ policy papers.
- Invited member of the World Economic Forum Expert Network.
- Associate Editor of the science and policy journal Angle based at Imperial College London.
- Lead author on a perspective in the Journal of the American Chemical Society and an editorial in Angewandte Chemie (from the German Chemical Society) on improving research culture and research strategy.
- Invited participant in panel debate on open science with Elsevier.
- Invited speaker to “How to Engage with Policy-Makers” session organized by the European Commission.
- Invited panel member, Mapping the Future of Reasearch Assessment at Imperial College London.
- Invited contributor, Voice of the Future meeting at UK Parliament.
- Lead author from the Marie Curie Alumni Association on the policy paper “Joint Statement on Open Access for Researchers via Plan S“.
- “Let’s focus on the research process, not the outputs“, blog post in London School of Economics’ Impact Blog.
- Commentary on mental health of ECRs in Nature 557, 129-131 (2018).
- Essay on work-life balance for excellence in research in Science 364, 98 (2019).
- Organized and hosted a session on “Healthy and supportive environments for PhD candidates: Paving the way for good practices” at the Vitae Researcher Development International Conference.
- Author, MCAA European Research Funding policy paper.
- Organized and hosted panel discussion on Open Science at the Euroscience Open Forum (ESOF) 2018 in Toulouse, France.
- Associate Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Blog post in London School of Economics’ Impact Blog on the future of academic publishing.
- Invited contributor to the EU-project New HoRRIzon focused around Responsible Research & Innovation.
- Editorial: March for Science in Chemistry in Australia.
- Author, statement on “Plan S” for open science, with follow-up blog post here.
- Member of the Executive Institutional Board, Open Science MOOC.
- Invited contributor in panel debate on Plan S at the Royal Society of Chemistry.
Invited contributor, Voice of the Future meeting at UK Parliament.
Invited participant in panel debate on open science with Elsevier in Amsterdam.
Invited panel member, Mapping the Future of Reasearch Assessment at Imperial College London.
Invited contributor in panel debate on Plan S at the Royal Society of Chemistry, London.